Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Solo 17 & 10 years ago...

Last Saturday I accomplished a huge milestone... upped my training to the 17 mile mark and I did it solo. I really didn't have a lot of time to think about the fact that the farthest I have ever ran alone (not in a race) is about 10 miles! I had one option for a course since I am still not familiar with running in Houston. Terry Hershey Park did it's job. It isn't quite the trails from Aberdeen but it was close enough and far enough from the sound of cars which is always high on my list! I had a new play list, new running shorts, new sunglasses and some new GU to try out. Play list was awesome, running shorts-good (anyone who is use to wearing only capris while running knows what I am talking about), thankfully did not need the sunglasses until mile 14 (yeah for the clouds - serious acclimating needs to happen soon), and Hammer Gu much better for these hot ( I am told this is cool weather) long runs and the tummy!
I really hit a high on this run. I felt better then I have felt in awhile. With moving I have felt very sluggish and consumed with the details of moving. I have been able to let some of that go and start to enjoy life more again. I really had a chance to reflect on how amazing this entire journey is for me. Instead of having such a heavy heart about my to do list and moving I started concentrating on the fact that I can run and how fortunate I am to be given this opportunity.
Yes, it has been hard to fit in runs... or even do them but in the end I GET to do this.
I have friends and family who are making all this happen for me. Every single person who has given a donation to my fund raising for Autism, a prayer, a thought, a "I am so proud of you Michelle" or "Autism has affected us as well"... with all the craziness of life right now the one thing I do know is how fortunate I am to be able to do this. The scary solo 17 miler turned into a waahoooo I can do this.... I have to admit I was very giddy the rest of the day with my secret grin... as I got to say to myself all day, yeah I ran 17 miles today, solo!

I also have to mention my very supportive amazing husband who by the way has been my husband for exactly 10 years today... I could not feel more blessed to be able to say that. I am beyond grateful for the gift of him in my life. He makes me so much better!
Homecoming 1995... who would have thought... good friends!
Then the engagement...
My cowboy...
Rehearsal dinner...
February 24th 2001
Our dream wedding... again friends and family you made that day happen!
I have been looking over pictures all morning and it has brought back so many wonderful memories... we are so blessed with family and our friends.
And now our three beautiful children...
We are loving short sleeves and sports these days!
Thank you again for all the support and love, it is so felt and so appreciated. On these runs I get to think of why I am doing this and in the end it is for Amanda... and every single person out there who has been touched by Autism.

AND one more last thing... I am almost there with my fund-raising goal.... way more then half way done with 7 weeks left!

2 comments:

Brandi said...

Michelle,
Your determination and your faith in God really shows in your words. You brought tears to my eyes and you are a SUCH an inspiration. Don't hide those giddy smiles....show it and be proud of all you are accomplishing. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Jamie and Jill said...

You AMAZE me. I still need to donate but can you help me since I don't understand the currency...or whatever its called?:)