Tuesday, 27 April 2010

13.1...

A week ago Sunday we (my running buddies & I) ran the Chris Hoy Edinburgh Half Marathon! It was a great race for time and a nice course but a horrible day! It was freezing, windy and RAINY! It rained hard the entire race but we all had a great time. I was going for a sub 2 hour and even had a bet with Ben... I hit it and by 6 min. Did 1:54... so I was very excited. Ben is now planning a white water rafting trip down the Grand Canyon for the next summer so let us know if you want to come! It was well worth it!

I have a bit of a running bug now but I have to get my behind in a bit better shape! It felt great though because it was a year ago that I started running and taking better care of myself it was a nice gift to myself!

I wont forget that race... pushing through the rain, wind, cold, running along the ferth, great music, the quiet of the race, the big man with the Cambridge shirt on in front of me that I kept up with so he could block some of the wind and rain going up the last few hills in miles 8 and 9 when it got really hard, turning back at mile 10 knowing I was on the home stretch, seeing my mom and Asia standing in the pouring rain at the finish to cheer us on, finishing realizing I had done it in 1:54... wow... it felt good!
Nannie and Asia in Edinburgh (Princes Street)
Kathleen and I at the finish
All four of us at the end cold and wet!
Kathleen, Cliona, Layla and me
I am in debt to these girls who got my butt up and running... thank you ladies!
I realized after this race I love the race pushing yourself beyond what you think you can do. I also loved the comfort I got from running along side Kathleen for the first 7 miles. We didn't have to say a word but we knew when we needed to speed up a bit, slow down a bit, pass others you feel this amazing connection! I love it!
Okay enough of the sappy stuff...!

2 comments:

Studdert Family said...

CONGRATS! Sounds like a great run and awesome time! So proud of you. You look beautiful as always. Miss ya!

Jamie and Jill said...

Awesome time. I am so proud of you. Love you and miss you. Can't wait for Friday!!!!!!!!!