Wednesday, 20 October 2010

I LOVED Amsterdam!

My first trip to Amsterdam was last weekend. We (my running buddies and I) needed a race to look forward to and frankly keep me motivated to keep my butty in shape. So we picked Amsterdam because the course is flat & fast (number 1), two of us hadn't been before, and it was an easy cheap flight from Aberdeen. We started training again in August. I got to go by myself which was wonderful to say the least although I missed my backpacking loving hubby next me. I arrived last Saturday with my backpack. As soon as I got off the plane and headed to the trains I got that amazing invigorating feeling we love! Amsterdam was beautiful. I headed toward the apartment we had rented and everyone was on bikes, the air was clear, it was quiet, the canals were gorgeous, the city was just gorgeous! I got that silly giddy grin of WOW.
The canals that lined the streets...
We rented bikes on Monday and rode all over the city... everyone is on a bike seriously I have never been to a place where everyone is on a bike except Asia but that is mad craziness and would never have bet my life on getting on a bike there. This was very organized! I couldn't remember the last time I had been on a bike - it seriously might have been middle school but the old saying holds true.
The Unger family in front of me... I was very impressed with Grace & Clara's ability to ride a bike through the city at age 7... Mike navigated our way through Amsterdam and even a little ride through the red light district (although) this might have been a mistake but you gotta see it right... the contrast of my little Swiss Family Robinson in front of me and the girls in the windows made me laugh... and after made me really sad. The drugs were nothing or at least it seemed very tame. I really thought it would be everywhere but it wasn't. What made me sad was the ladies in the windows - in my opinion never should this be okay for a woman's profession. It makes me wonder if the world has progressed at all when we can legally use a woman's body.... it mad my heart ache. I absolutely loathe it.
Mike with Layla and Kate in the cargo bike - these are awesome!
This is post race... everyone has to have a Heineken in Amsterdam - I also won a double dog dare so Layla you owe me one. I will think of a good one! This was a fun fun night!

This is me after getting off the tram on the way to the apartment... not that great of a pic but had to get one.
A dark but very pretty street down from the apartment.
Self explanatory.
Anne Frank's house. Incredible. Sad. Amazing. Heart wrenching. Disgusting.
Pre-race. I was very excited they even printed our names on our race numbers. I know I am a geek at heart. It was a huge race the biggest I have ever done. I loved this and hated this. The logistics of a huge race was a bit exhausting and all the dang people. You learn from it. I also learned I love my little Scotland races!! But you can't deny the energy from these large races.
Lots of people. Us coming off the metro to the start of the race. At the same time it is cool that all these people are in the same place about to run 13.1 miles together!
Us - post run. It was a great course. It was flat and the scenery gorgeous. It is a fast course. But it just wasn't my day. I actually hadn't felt good in my runs the last couple of weeks before the race... you know the feeling where you just feel heavy. Anyway that didn't pass for race day. Every mile was such a struggle. I still made my sub 2 but didn't get any faster then my last race. I know in running you just have your bad days and that was a bad day. I normally really enjoy the race after, yes it sucks and I am thinking what would happen if I just darted off the course?? Does anyone else think that? But I usually look back with a certain awe and love for it. I really didn't get that this time. But I haven't been running in races all that long so it is going to happen. Lets just pray it doesn't continue! BUT well done Kathleen who got a PR and Layla got her sub 2 PR!
Maybe I should have painted my nails black. Kathleen started this in our last race... something about making you feel like a bad A when you really need that kick start... I think next time I might be painting my nails black!
So it was a wonderful trip. So glad we got to go. I was pleasantly surprised at the beauty of the city... oh yeah and the food was yummy, fresh, natural.... delicious! Oh yeah and we laughed and laughed on this trip - talk about waking up the soul.


1 comment:

Studdert Family said...

SO PROUD of you! What an amazing trip and beautiful sights. Love the pics of you three having fun after with a beer. You look GREAT! Loved hearing your details about Amsterdam! Miss ya!